In the beginning...
The area in which St Flannan's Parish is situated was once beautiful rainforest country and home to the Turrbul (stone) tribe of this region. We recognise their long history on this land and the care they gave to this land for thousands of years.
On 18 September 1952 the Archdiocese bought 4.5ha for £7,500 on the corner of Beams and Handford Road. There was an old residence, a barn and chicken sheds on the property.
The Parish was founded when Archbishop Duhig gave the property to the parishioners as a personal gift and on 16 March 1953 Fr Greene came as first parish priest taking up residence in the old homestead. One month later on 12 April the first Sunday Mass was celebrated with the congregation of about 300-400 parishioners of all nationalities.